Derby Criminal Lawyer
Criminal charges cover a wide range of offenses from relatively minor misdemeanors such as disorderly conduct to Class A felonies such as murder. Each charge is unique, and therefore each case requires a unique approach. Regardless of the severity of the crime you may have been accused of, you need to fully understand the charges against you, the legal penalties you may face, and the best way to defend yourself and your future.
The consequences of a criminal charge can be life-changing and prohibitive, keeping you from your full potential for years to come. However, with the help of a Derby criminal lawyer, you may fully comprehend the challenges that you may face while fighting criminal charges and can work with your capable criminal defense attorney to devise an effective defense strategy.
In Derby, people may be arrested for common offenses such as assault and/or battery, DUI/DWI, drug possession, drug distribution, and weapons possession. Criminal offenses in Connecticut are categorized by class. There are four classes of misdemeanors (A, B, C, and D) or the misdemeanor may be unclassified. These misdemeanors carry various legal and financial penalties:
- The penalties for unclassified misdemeanors are determined by the statute defining the crime
- Class D misdemeanor – 30 days in jail and fines of up to $250
- Class C misdemeanor – three months in jail plus fines of $500 or less in value
- Class B misdemeanor – six months of jail time plus fines of up to $1,000
- Class A misdemeanor – up to a year in jail plus fines of $2,000 or less
Felony Charges in Derby
Felonies are more severe than misdemeanors and are also categorized by classes with different penalties:
- Class D felonies – imprisonment for a time from one to five years, plus fines
- Class C felonies – anywhere from one to ten years’ imprisonment, plus fines
- Class B felonies – prison time of one to 40 years, plus fines
- Class A felony – ten to 60 years’ imprisonment plus fines
- Capital felonies – life without possibility of release, Connecticut did away with the death penalty in 2012
Whether crimes are being prosecuted at the municipal or federal level, serious violent crimes or petty misdemeanors, a Derby criminal lawyer could help build the strongest possible defenses for each unique case.
Consulting a Derby Criminal Defense Attorney
If you have been arrested for a criminal offense, you may have a long road ahead riddled with legal processes and procedures and the potential for harsh consequences. You do not have to face this road alone.
With the help of a Derby criminal defense attorney, you can rest assured knowing that you have legal representation on your side that is working hard to prepare a defense for you that is well-investigated and thoroughly researched.
You need the best of the best to fight for your rights and your freedoms, and Derby criminal lawyers will work tirelessly to pursue the best possible outcome for your case.